Monday, November 03, 2008

Political Ads on My Site

I have recently discovered that the advertisements that display on the right side and bottom of this blog are now showing ads that advocate for one political viewpoint or another, one ballot issue or another, one candidate or another, etc. Google Adsense manages the content of these ads. I have little or no control over what is shown. I assumed that since this was a comic blog, all of the ads displayed would be related to comics or art. And, for the most part, they have been.

While I encourage everyone to be a good citizen and vote their conscience whenever possible, I am decidedly non-partisan. I do vote as I consider it a duty to do so, but political ads, in my opinion, are inherently divisive. Rather than emphasize our common bonds, they tend to split people into balkanized groups that are often opposed to each other. Politics may have their place, but not on this site.

I will be exploring how to either block or remove these ads altogether, if it comes to that. Let me be very clear: Political Ads are my bottom line. I will not compromise that. I can appreciate people's respective views, but as far as I am concerned, this is MY site and everyone is welcome regardless of their views. I am deeply upset by what Google Adsense has done. Look for changes on this in a week or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home